Skip to main content


A guide to copyright for Royal Roads University faculty, students, and staff.


Here are some options:

  • Obtain permission from the copyright owner. For information on how to obtain permissions, click here or contact the Copyright Office.

  • Use material in the Public Domain, under licence through a Creative Commons or use Open Source material.  

  • Provide students with a citation (rather than a copy or link)

  • Put original items (books, print journals) on Library Reserve for students to borrow.  Click here to contact the library about placing material on course reserve.

  • Link to existing materials whenever possible.  Linking to copyright materials does not violate copyright--when you are linking you are not making a copy. Ensure a new window is opened to display linked material (do not frame linked information within your web pages).  For more information on creating stable links click here

  • Reproduce the minimum amount of copyrighted work needed.  Don't use more than one article from a single issue of a journal or more than one chapter from a book. For information on our Fair Dealing Policy click here.

  • Contact your Copyright Office at

Text derived from Unsure? Copyright & You by Kwantlen Polytechnic University.

Contact Us

Copyright Office: